Sunday, May 26, 2013

Otavalo


I’ve been told Otavalo is the biggest market in South America and you can buy anything here! Anything you say? Ok so competition time between Kate, Sophie and I to try and buy everything on the most ridiculous shopping list ever seen.
·      A crocodile
·      A small indigenous child
·      Original 1980’s Atari computer 
·      Peruvian Flag
·      Traditional hat from vendors head
·      Inappropriate Tee shirt (extra points for the best or worst, depends how we see it)
·       Size 10 hi tec trainer boots
·      One left shoe
So after a quiet night in Bungalow I wake up early to head to the bus station, Kate surprises us all by also being up on time and even managing to find a taxi metro. These Taxis are like gold dust to us Gringos as normally they have the meter but guess what its stopped working…… but they will make us a good price!
So as we are bumping our way along to the station I get a text from a friend (last nights partner in crime)- WTF happened last night, I passed out and woke up with a black eye from head butting the toilet while vomiting.
At this point I begin to understand the queasiness going on in my stomach and the realization that maybe last night was not so quiet.
Fear not a travel sickness tablet and some hard boiled mints later and all is well again. I even managed to stay awake on the bus this time. Poor Kate then got to listen to all my confused life thoughts on route, yes still going through the ‘what the hell am I doing in life’ stage.
So we eventually arrive at the market and the competition commences. A nice easy one to begin with the Crocodile, so I ask a vendor ‘ where can I buy a Crocodile?’ He then tells me that I missed the animal market this morning. No confusion at the fact I want to buy a Crocodile just that I was too late! Brilliant! I really love Ecuador at times.
Now onto the small indigenous child, I really thought it would be just inappropriate to ask someone to sell me his or her child. I think foreigners have a bad enough reputation without me fueling this by asking them to name a price for their kid, also where would I keep it? I can’t see the Croc being too happy to share a room.
At one point I saw a small indigenous child in a Peruvian shirt, so I am thinking two birds one stone but still couldn’t do it.
Traditional hat from vendors head turned out to be the easiest one, mister, I like your hat. Where can I buy one? -You can have this one for $150, its real rabbit! Bit out of budget but found out it would be an easy task to get one.
My personal favorite was trying to buy one shoe, one lady had slippers for sale $2 for a pair. So $1 right? –
Me- Solo necesito un zapato. Cuánto?
Vendor- un zapato? 
Me- Sí, mi tio solo tiene un pie.
Lets just say she was confused and not very happy, I guess my uncle will have to find another one legged friend to share pairs of shoes with as vendors are not happy to sell only one shoe.
So truth be told you can’t buy everything in Otavalo Market this is a myth, well you certainly can’t buy A crocodile ( in the afternoon anyway), Original 1980’s Atari computer, Peruvian Flag seems they still hate them, Inappropriate Tee shirt this surprised me as you see so many of them, Size 10 hi tec trainer boots and One left shoe.
So after our failed shopping trip we head back to the lovely La Luna Hostel and grab a couple of sun dowers and watch the sun set over an incredible landscape. Then have a game of Monopolio……  



  
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment