Thursday, February 14, 2013

Carnival in Ecuador


I made it through Carnival only being water bombed 5 times, you may think that’s a lot but there was some quick manoeuvring on my part on quite a few occasions! Now for those of you have not had the pleasure of being in South America (Being half a foot taller, blonde and basically standing out like a sore thumb) life is very dangerous during Carnival.
Everyday no matter the weather I would have to wear a raincoat with hood up, carry a spare set of clothes, which means carrying a backpack everywhere I go.  A friend told me as a kid he would save up food waste on the lead up to Carnival, once it was adequately decomposed and very smelly he would then make nice little bombs to throw at people! Thank god this did not happen to me, I did see the remains of egg or tomato wars but never got hit by one.
 I did enjoy joining in with this tradition on days when I didn’t have to be somewhere that meant turning up dry and looking non harassed,  other more busy days I am constantly scanning the street for signs of attackers or the trail they had left behind —a clue that a bucket full of water, a neon-colored water gun or balloon was not waiting around the corner for me. As you can tell I am now a nervous wreak… well safe till next year, I hope!  




No comments:

Post a Comment